Friday, July 18, 2008

THIS WEEKEND- A WEDDING, AN OPPORTUNITY, A PREDICAMENT, A WEDDING.



Tomorrow, my friend and classmate in masteral studies, Rommel and his fiancee, Natalie are getting married.

I remember him coming to GCF for the first time from Bowie, Maryland to become our Youth Pastor right after graduating from Washington Bible College. The eldest son of two migrant Filipino nurses, Ro felt a nudge from God to come and serve in the Philippines. As he began getting accustomed to Manila life, he, I and Faye started hanging out after class, helping him to adjust to all things foreign to him. A gifted preacher and athlete, coupled with good looks and an animated personality, he was an instant hearthrob to tons of girls at church, and even those from outside the church.

I remember meeting her for the first time when her theatrical group staged a musical at church. An hour after the performance, the worship center was fully empty and I was just about to lock my office door, she walked up to me and said, "Hi! I'm Natalie, I'm part of the Rahab team. I left my blouse at the changing room, could you bring me there?" I did, but we did not find any blouse. I told her that the the janitors may have gotten it and may end up in the lost and found section on Sunday. She gave me her cell phone number since she mentioned that she goes to another church. A few days later I texted her to say that we could not find her blouse. That was about the last communication I had with her.

A couple of years later, they met each other through somebody else when she and her family started attending our church. They became friends, they fell in love, got engaged, he became youth pastor in another church and tomorrow they tie the knot.


It's amazing how love grows. I pray all the best for Ro and Natalie as they embark on a journey of life together.

AN OPPORTUNITY, AND A PREDICAMENT. Tomorrow, I am assigned to lead worship all day (7, 9, 11AM and 6PM) again. It's always a joy for me to lead our congregation to worship. The Spirit has led me to line up a selection of songs that make me excited. However, tomorrow at 4PM, Ro and Nat are getting married! I just learned that even our Senior Pastor, who is officiating the ceremony has asked somebody else to preach in his stead at the 6PM service. That leads me to thinking- since people don't (or shouldn't) marry so often in a lifetime, and it's an honor to be invited by a friend to witness and participate in milestone in his life, I should be asking someone to take my place at 6PM. BUT WHO?

No comments: