Saturday, July 26, 2008

THE COLOR PURPLE

After meeting with the leaders of LifePursuits Conference, I had a rather prolonged lunch with Chris and Abe. After heading off different ways, I figured that I have the whole afternoon to myself. I decided to go to my favorite video store at The Podium to check out the latest movie releases. Having seen nothing interesting, I walked to the older movies section. Straining my eyes as I looked through rows and rows of DVDs, I found a film I've been searching for in a fairly long time.

The Color Purple. It came out in 1985, but I remember first seeing it in the summer of 1991, just weeks before high school! It made such a lasting impression on me that I began to like movies with a such theme- race relations, slavery with a redemptive, heart-warming twist.

Immediately, I grabbed the lone copy in the shelf and headed home.

Taking place in the Southern United States during the early- to mid-1900s, the film follows the life of Celie Johnson as she struggles through life in the early 1900s. All through her early to mid-life she struggles with ugly circumstances and copes with her miserable existence. Towards the near-end of the movie, Celie and Shug (short for Sugar), a friend she made early in the movie, walk on a meadows surrounded by purple flowers, they talk.

Shug: God love admiration.
Celie: You saying God is vain?
Shug: No, not vain, just wanting to share a good thing. I think God doesn't like it when you walk by the colour purple in a field and don't notice it.

color_purple_1

It was through their experience that they realized that though they suffered a lot, there is a God who redeems. Those circumstances allowed God to reveal his faithfulness as he intervened to save them. The circumstances were perfect for their indivudual growth. They provided the perfect opportunity for them discover that they could trust God as their faithful friend. They were perfect for deciphering how much they had grown as they faced forty years of their individual wilderness journey.

No comments: