Wednesday, July 23, 2008

MATCHMAKING AND GOD'S WILL

In the middle of preparing for a sermon I'm preaching next Wednesday, I received three text messages of the same thread consecutively from three different people who are total strangers to each other. I figured, I should take a break from writing my sermon and blog about it!

Kai Shao- that Chinese practice of introducing strangers with hopes of romantic fruition. One guy (who too, by the way is single) wrote, "Bro I met this girl at work who I believe is your type! You should meet her! Watchatink?" These highly concerned/desperate friends meet persons they think would be my perfect match! I know a number of couples who were results of kai shao. Nothing bad about the practice, I just don't think it's for me.

Along that line of thought, a friend of mine has been suffering the consistent bugging of her relative trying to convince her to consider the "long-haired pastor." I met that relative. She seemed fine. But I'm getting convinced that she's either of the following- she's desparately concerned with her niece or she must have sustained a real bad head whack in the not so distant past.

I thought, it's funny how people act up when the moon is up! But then again, it's day time!

One text message reads: "Bro, malay mo baka ito na si God's will!" (Who knows, she could be God's will!) First off, I do not like the idea of beginning a sentence concerning God's will with the words "malay mo" (who knows?). Second, God never has very much communicated with people through burning bushes. He chooses chiefly to communicate through burning hearts. Hearts that are passionately in love with Jesus Christ.

I believe that if you are really, really serious about finding God's will for your life, but you don't know Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, then that is the place to begin. But if you do know Christ as Lord and Savior, and you are struggling to find out what God's will is in light of his lordship and under the authority of his word, then the Apostle Paul has some clues for you and me here, as he writes

Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Socrates said that the unexamined life is not worth living. We are to examine our lives, in the light of the Holy Spirit, and more than asking "Who is God's will for my life?" we must ask the question, "What is God's will for my life?" When we are filled with the Holy Spirt, we are more liable to figure out the answer.

waiting park


No comments: