Monday, July 7, 2008

A SONG, A NOTE, A THOUGHT

INDIANA. HOW JON MCLAUGHLIN BECAME OFFICIALLY MY FAVORITE INDIANA-BORN MUSICIAN!


All I've kept myself updated with the last couple of years has been Christian Contemporary and Worship Music! Then comes Jon McLaughlin!


Yesterday afternoon after the Church, I was demonstrating to Joy, the pianist, how a portable speaker system that I'd just been given by one of the guys in the worship team works. As we were picking what song to play, she clicked "So Close" from the movie Enchanted. I've seen the movie but the song never had a recall for me. But hearing "So Close" again-- every word of it, was close to amazing!


I was just leisurely listening to random music while finalizing this Sunday's worship set when an unfamiliar but soothing tune in the piano started playing; a soft-sounding singing voice of a man started putting intelligently written words to the tune. The title immediately caught my eye: INDIANA! A state name that has become close to me in the last several months, where a number of people I have not yet met in the flesh have taken a special place in my heart!


Here's a video and the words to the song:





I'm glad I never lived next to the water
So I could never get used to the beach,
And I'm glad I never grew up on a mountain
To figure out how high the world could reach.

I love the miles between me and the city,
Where I quietly imagine every street.
And I'm glad I'm only picturing the moment.
I'm glad she never fell in love with me.

For some the world's a treasure to discover.
And your scenery should never stay the same.
And they're trading in their dreams for explanations.
All in an attempt to entertain.

I love the miles between me and the city,
Where I quietly imagine ever street.
And I'm glad I'm only picturing the moment.
I'm glad she never fell in love with me

The trick of love is to never let it find you.
It's easy to get over missing out.
I know the how's and whens, but now and then,
She's all I think about.

I wonder how it feels to be famous,
but wonder is as far as I will go.
Because I'd probably lose myself in all the pictures,
And end up being someone I don't know.

So it's probably best I stay in Indiana,
Just dreaming of the world as it should be.
Where every day is a battle to convince myself
I'm glad she never fell in love with me.


A huge part of me wishes to rewrite this song to fit my situation, but the song is already good as it is!


A NOTE RECEIVED, A THOUGHT CONCEIVED.


A surprising note was handed to me by an anonymous kid last Sunday. He ran quickly as soon as he got the note in my hand and did not get the chance to ask who it was from. In a church with several thousand people, I may never identify who this letter is from.


Hi! I join a number of other people who have been asking why we never see you lead worship in church anymore. Most of the worship leadership on Sundays is done by other worship leaders- who by the way, do a wonderful job leading us in heartfelt worship. Although we see you worship in your usual spot close to the band section- always joyful, expressive and uninhibited before God, yet it still feels a bit different for our loved worship pastor whose 2nd and 3rd Sunday leading we always look forward to not on stage but as a part of the congregation. Some months ago, Pastor Luis mentioned that you're leaving for Indiana, perhaps that is why we hardly see you lead. But we do hope you'll lead us again before you fly States-side, at least 10 Sundays in a row! God bless your heart, PJon. 


When the January to June 2008 schedule of Worship Leaders was made late in 2007, it was prepared with the assumption that I will be in Indiana by now. Obviously, I am not, although I wish I were!


On Sunday, I stand again to lead worship for the first time since Palm Sunday and Easter! I have led only three times in six months! I seriously missed worship leading. And although opportunities to lead worship arose a number of times I chose/needed/wanted to step aside for a while to set my heart straightened up, my mind refocused. My heart was set on leaving in April, my mind had drawn up plans for the worship ministry at Covenant. It has taken sometime for me to recover from a visa denial heartbreak. I still am in the process of a system reboot! God knew that I would need a couple of months to fully recover! I love how God providentially set man's plans in place according to His will!


The ball has started rolling for me. Life is beginning to get back to normal- even better!


Do I still think about Covenant? Yes I do. I'd be lying if I say I don't. Do I still wish to go? Yes, I'd still love to pay my new Hoosier friends that worship on Knox Drive a visit!


covenant front


Do I still want a sabbatical? Yes, more than anyone would know! I'd still love to ride a bike on these plains.


indy


But I am completely satisfied with what God has for me at the moment.

No comments: