Thursday, October 23, 2008

NOTHING IS FINAL YET

Nothing is final yet.

Yesterday, before I met with my Worship Creative Planning Team, the HR Director of the church called for an "informal chat" about "stuff." After some small talk, she asked me about my life plans (not insurance). I told of her of my goals and ministry plans-- a visit to West Lafayette for an event, planning services and events for the coming days and seasons-- even among multi-national companies these days, long-range planning is as good as a three-year span. She mentions that the Church's leadership commends my leading of the church into a vibrant worship life and ministry (which are all by God's awesome grace). She then asked if I would be open to being considering a ministry assignment elsewhere. I told her that I'm enjoying my present ministry assignment and am still praying for opportunities to serve outside the confines of this Republic!

Without batting an eyelash she said, "Toronto."

82202137

That beautiful cosmopolitan city facing a giant lake. The major North American city with the lowest crime rate, steady economic growth very littly affected by the market crash and recession of its titanic neighbor to the south.

A number of pastors wish to be assigned there, and quite honestly, I am not one of them. The church is growing, it's friendly and since last year, the new church plant has grown to a little less than 200 in worship each week, and has planted a congregation 45 minutes away in Mississauga which now numbers 70.

56618841

She laid out all the possibilities, I shared with her my passions as well as concerns. We closed our conversation with her saying, "Please seriously consider and fervently pray about it, 'coz we're praying for you."

Just last Sunday night, I was on the phone with another pastor and an elder from a far smaller city situated on the vast prairies of the Great Dominion. His growing multi-ethnic church of 800 people is in need of a worship pastor. The direction the 100-year-old church is pursuing is almost a perfect match to my gifts and forte! Their philosophy of worship ministry and mine are similar. He pointed out that the tiny but growing Oil Boom Town has seen an influx of Filipinos in the last couple of years, and his church has begun a ministry to Filipinos-- some of whom know and actually have been to my church, GCF! I must say, that phone conversation made me more excited!

Nothing is final. But the maple leaf seems to be casting a shadow over the star and stripes!

79427569

"A belief that God acts with purpose in this world must lead to attempts, however feeble, to discern how my own actions might be attuned to God's one action." -William Barry in Presence

Now is the time to sale in God's deep waters. It is very hard to move a ship in harbor but a ship at sea, while sailing along, is set in the right direction by the slight turn of the rudder. Sometimes we are called to launch out from the harbor in order to get into a position where we are easily turned on the right course.

Meanwhile...I ask,

1. How can I best glorify God? "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31). We should do nothing, say nothing, wear nothing, involve ourselves in nothing that would bring shame to the name of God.

2. Do I have any selfish motives? "When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures" (James 4:3). How easily our selfish motivations crowd into our attempts to know and do God's will.

3. Am I willing to do whatever God says? A commitment to obey God, whatever His direction may be, gives us a healthy premise for discerning God's will.

4. Is this within the umbrella of God's universal will? God will never lead us to do that which His Word clearly forbids or lead us to disobey that which His Word clearly commands.

5. Is this in harmony with God's purposes for my life? Within the boundaries of God's will for everyone are boundaries Cod may set for each individual. To know God's will, we must consider not only what is right and wrong, but also what is best according to what God wants from my life.

6. What do my authorities say? (Hebrews 13:17). God often gives us guidance through authority figures.

7. Is this God's time? How easily we are distracted from peace in the Lord's wisdom and timing when we compare our lives with others!

9. Has God opened the doors? God can and does confirm His will through open and closed doors.

10. Do I have an inner peace? God can and does speak to the heart of those who know His voice.

No comments: