Wednesday, October 22, 2008

MY BESTMAN IF SHE WERE A BOY

"My market value drops quickly!" That's what I say when I hang out with close-to-my-age-level young women from church. And that statement never fails to make anyone laugh. But quite honestly, so do theirs when they hang out with me.

This morning at 7, as I took a dip in the clubhouse pool on the roof deck of my condo building, I saw a neighbor I have not met before walk to a nearby lawn chair, sat and opened a book.

After a few minutes, I heard her say, "Excuse me..Hi!" For a moment I thought she was calling on the staff at the bar. But I noticed we were the only ones there so I figured she was trying to get my attention.

I swam to her side of the pool and asked, "You called, miss?" She answered, "Yes...Hi I'm ****!" I said, "I'm Jon."

She asked if I were a guest or a resident. Told her I'm a resident. "Oh, okay...nice to meet you, Jon. I'm just wondering, were you at Galleria last Sunday, and the Sunday before that?" she asked. I answered, "Yes, I was. In fact I work near Galleria." "ADB (Asian Development Bank)?" she asked. "No, GCF-- Greenhills Christian Fellowship. I'm actually a pastor," I answered.

She remarked, "Oh okay, coolness. Know what? I've never met a pastor before. Anyway, ganito kasi, my sister recognized you as a neighbor on both occasions we saw you at Galle...and I think we saw you also at PeriPeri last Saturday."

"Have I met your sister?" I asked. "No, but she does jog every morning like you," she answered. "Oh, okay. But I have not jogged regularly since June...I try to jog or swim when I have time...like now." I remarked.

"How about your girlfriend? She's not very active, is she?" she asked, and continued, "But she's slim hah!"

"Girlfriend?" I asked. She said, "We saw you with the same girl on all occasions. Isn't she your girlfriend?"

"She's just a friend. In fact, a very good friend...a buddy! If she were a boy she would be my bestman!" I told her. She laughed!

For the first time in several months, I wanted to buy my friend a T-shirt that says, "We're just friends" in front.

tshirt friends

--------------------------------

In other news.

- My some of family members leave for the US at the earliest, November 3! The rest are working on their papers. The thought of being left behind is a little disturbing!

- I fly to Baguio City with a church friend tomorrow for the weekend. I'm excited, in addition to getting a weekend off, being able to visit the church's growing outreach there which my seminary classmate now leads.

- Missions Month Culminating Sunday will be an extravagant festive praise and worship celebration that will feature the choir in international costumes and lots of guests! Too bad I'll miss it.

No comments: