Monday, October 6, 2008

EATING WITH STRANGERS

Last Sunday was World Communion Sunday.

At 6:30AM, I walked out of my condominium building last Sunday thinking, "What a beautiful day...cool, crisp, just enough sun shedding a beautiful orange glow on the street, there were gorgeous, glamorous clouds vying for my attention, too." I knew that October 5, 2008 was World Communion Sunday and I was going to a church that has practically no idea about it.

What began in 1936 as a celebration of unity among Presbyterians is now a worldwide first Sunday of October celebration across the globe- one of the most venerable special Sundays among mainline Protestants-Evangelicals. The day has taken new relevancy and depth of meaning in a world where globalization often has undermined peace and justice- and in a time when fear divides the peoples of God's earth. On this day, Protestant Christians celebrate oneness in Christ the Prince of peace in the midst of the world we are called to serve- a world in need of peace and peacemakers!

communion_set

It is amazing how God has providentially scattered His children throughout the world. His children may disagree on many theological issues and standard practices, we are united in our experience of His grace.

Christianity is the fastest growing and largest religious community in the world. It is also the most racially diverse and scattered. With most religions you can just go to a map and point to India and say, "Most Hindus are concentrated in this region right here;" or say "Most Muslims can be found in the following countries." But you can't do that with Christianity. People say the greatest trend going on in this world is Globalism and globalization, Let me tell you, globalism began 2000 years ago when a Man from Palestine told his twelve friends, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature."

If Christianity were a table, it would be the largest table in the world. I love the picture of a table with people gathered around it sharing a meal. Surrounding God's dinner table are black, white, yellow, red, brown faces breaking bread together! Think, whenever we gather around the table of the Lord in our local churches we join the rest of God's people around the world. There is no greater way of building relationships than over a meal. It's fascinating to note that the word companion comes from the phrase cum pane which means, with bread!

Last Saturday following the late afternoon rain, recovering from an upset stomach, I went out of my apartment to have an early dinner at VirraMall. In the courtyard/garden of the mall is the Chapel of the Holy Family. As I had my amazing Vietnamese chicken soup, I realized that the Catholic Mass was just about to start. I finished my meal quickly and attended Mass. I sat at the very front of the chapel close to the choir. I am not only familiar with Catholic liturgy but I am one that appreciates it.

After Mass, I introduced myself as a pastor to the officiating priest. He wasn't surprised because he said he'd observed me and my gestures throughout the mass- I did not do the sign of the cross, I did not kneel. But he was surprised that I memorized the entire liturgy! I told him that there is a point in the mass that continues to overwhelm me where the priest says, Lord Jesus Christ, you said to your apostles: I leave you peace, my peace I give you. Look not on our sins, but on the faith of your Church, and grant us the peace and unity of your kingdom where you live for ever and ever.

I asked that if He ever means it whenever he prays it. He said, "As a Charismatic priest, I believe in a personal relationship with Christ and life in the Spirit. I also believe I am one with all who have that relationship. I believe in radical surrender to the Lordship of Jesus Christ in all parts of life, a strong adherence to the Gospel and the pursuit of strong friendships centered on Christ." I smiled at him and said, "Then I am one with you in that." I shook his hand, he continued, "I hope all Catholics will come to that relationship." I told him, "You have a huge task ahead of you."

That's the essence of World Communion Sunday and Communion in itself- it reminds us that our personal experience of Christ is what we have in common, we celebrate our friendship and diversity, yet we cannot forget that there is work to be done in proclaiming God's saving truth.

At GCF, as far as I can remember, we have not celebrated World Communion Sunday perhaps because we do not belong to a mainline denomination. But I hope we do.

---------------------------

Check this powerful and moving video!

No comments: