Thursday, September 11, 2008

LEARNING A NEW SONG: GOD OF THE AGES

So, I was at the movies last night watching another chick flick with Joy and Lennie, when this amazing song started ringing in my head again. After the movie on the way home, I was humming it in the cab. Before bedtime, I pulled a chair to my balcony to just enjoy the view from my seventh floor apartment drinking hot green tea, and I was singing it's chorus!

It's been ringing in my head for the last couple of days, and it just wouldn't leave!This morning, I was whipping up breakfast and found myself whistling the melody. I was singing it in the shower. I was humming it in the elevator. I'm listening to it now in Youtube, and singing the tenor part right here at work!

It was introduced to me by one the gals in my worship team early this week, which she learned from one of our former worship vocalists who now lives in Long Island, NY. Hearing the first time brought tears to my eyes, and had goosebumps. I found myself with hands lifted, worshipping God right infront of my computer at work! It was an overwhelming experience! It's now stuck in my head!

"God of the Ages" is the title.

The song contains amazing theological truths from Colossians 1:15-20; the Supremacy of Christ. The song has the power to prompt people to give appropriate worship response to Christ based on that beautiful truth about Him!

I researched about it and ended up exchanging emails with the composer himself, Travis Doucette, who eventually became my Facebook friend! The talented Canadian composer is team leader of a group called Exodus, a music team from Liberty University, from which he received his Bachelor's and is now a graduate student at Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary.

As a worship pastor, I have come to realize that there are certain songs that "work"-- songs that contain powerful truths coupled with recall-able tunes which intensify! Songs like Shout to the Lord, How Great is our God, You Are God Alone (Not a god), How Great Thou Art, When I Think About the Lord, etc. are among those that belong to that category!

When I begin tenure as Adjunct Professor of Worship Studies in a Bible College this coming semester, one of the things I will be requiring of students will be to select songs that have theological substance and depth. We will do theological analyses of songs in class. Our knowledge and experience of the Lord determines the depth, height and width of our worship response. What better way to worship Him than with songs that reveal His person, character, attributes, work and worth?

A lot of the worship leaders in churches today sing songs on the basis of popularity and catchy-ness, putting very little regard to substance! I was in a worship gathering lately where three of the four new worship songs sung that night spoke only of one theme, freedom! As the worship went on, I stopped trying to learn the songs and instead worshipped with God by declaring His worth and attributes based on the knowledge I have of Him from His Word. It is our job as worship leaders, worship pastors, music ministers to edify our fellow disciples of Jesus Christ by allowing them to learn amazing truths from Scripture in the beautiful avenue of worship music. We help in the deepening of their understanding of who God is. A worship leader who simply sings cute songs is not doing his job.

In a couple of weeks, the Lord willing, I will receive the sheet music for choir and piano from Travis, and hopefully use the song to serve its purpose in prompting people to worship God!

Recorded "live" at Thomas Road Baptist Church, Lynchburg Virginia
Video courtesy of Travis Doucette Music on YouTube.

No comments: