Wednesday, September 24, 2008

GOD HEARS

Tonight, I preached on our mid-week service.

First things first, it was (I think) alright. People were responsive and attentive. However, I must admit, I wasn't feeling all that well. I had just come out of a little misunderstanding with a good friend/co-worker. Although it was settled a few minutes before the service began it was hard to come out of that mode one minute and preach the next. Thank God for His awesome grace and peace that calmed my soul even when my friend and I were settling the issue! I was praying in my mind the whole time we talked. Like I said, it was settled just minutes before the service began.

I opened the homily with a story that's has recently taken place and moved me personally.

I remember a woman in my dad’s old church who back then had already been married for 7 years. Her problem was of public knowledge and it was a prayer item each week in prayer meeting.Her problem: the Lord has not granted her the joy of motherhood. I remember times when she would share about the pain of watching others bear one child after another (a deacon’s wife has 10 children), the anguish of seeing a mother kiss her baby’s face, the gladness of cuddling a little warm human being in her arms, and how she went to bed in tears every night.

The homily titled God Hears contained six main lessons from the life and experience of Hannah- the mother of Samuel, a woman who was barren for years and endured the scoffing of people for her state until the Lord providentially provided answered her prayer and gave her a son who would become a great prophet and the last judge of Israel. The homily culminated with the rest of the story I opened the sermon with.

Just last Saturday morning, I was at Unimart getting groceries. I live in Greenhills, and Unimart is the closest supermarket.

As I rolled my cart down the aisle of the fresh fruit section, I saw a familiar-looking woman choosing apples, putting them in a bag. I looked at her a little closer, and closer and closer! I approached her and respectfully asked “Excuse me, but are you C****?” and she said, “Yes, I am.” I smiled and said, “You probably don’t remember me. I’m Jon, son of Pastor Tom.” She immediate said, “Oh yes! Wow! I know you, I know you!” She hugged me so tight, “Yes…Wow, look how much you’ve grown!”

I noticed a tear drop come out of her left eye and rolled down her cheek. As soon as I noticed that tear, I saw a teenager holding a carton of Orange Juice, tugging C****’s blouse. She turned and introduced me to her son, Samuel! Samuel is her first born, she has three other kids waiting at Krispy Kreme with her husband.

colored-praying-woman

There wasn't a dry eye in the 120-seat hall. People affirmed the message of the homily helpful and pertinent to situations they find themselves in. That was an affirmation indeed. We were all reminded that God is actively at work in every person's life and that He has already spoken victory to our various personal forms of barrenness- whether it be financial, physical, emotional or spiritual.

At one point in the homily, I found myself preaching to myself-- the Lord's own bidding to take hope! He also reminded me how He has answered my prayers all day-- today was unusually hectic and pressured, with some situations bordering to desparation (which eventually led to the misunderstanding I saw myself in the middle of earlier)! But the Spirit of Christ came to save the day!

In fact, God kept reminding me that evern through dinner as I ate with the worship team, Tita Boots and Janny (who agreed to lead last minute) and the tech team- the very answers of God to my prayers. After dinner, I received a text message from my friend confirming that she is fine-- and that all is totally settled in her heart.

God is amazing!

No comments: