Saturday, September 20, 2008

DISCOVER YOURSELF IN WORSHIP

I love serendipities-- making fortunate discoveries by accident!

Last Tuesday, the wreck of a wooden ship was uncovered by Hurricane Ike on a beach in Fort Morgan, Alabama. Archeologists say the wreck could be that of a two-masted Civil War schooner that ran aground in 1862 or another ship from some 70 years later.

ike boat

At its landfall, I know that Hurricane Ike didn't bring a lot of smiles to many who live along the Gulf Coast, but this discovery that resulted from it does, especially history buffs.

Tomorrow, I again have the privilege of leading a time of praise and worship, and I pray. like I always do before leading, that people might have a genuine encounter and experience of the Spirit in worship. Some people have yet to discover who God is, some people come to renew their faith, others come to keep growing in it.

I gave met more people who have discovered God in the midst of or after a storm in their lives. It was a difficulty/problem/disaster that brought them at the end of their rope and reached for a "Higher Power" on whom to hold on. When people say, "I found God" or "I discovered God," they are actually discovering their real self in the presence of the God at work in them.

If I were to ask the question, "Where do you meet God?" I would get a variety of answers. Some would say, "God is in my heart and in the very center of my being. There is a wonderful intimacy." Some responses would echo Carl Jung, the scientist, who when he was asked if he believed in God said, "I don't believe in God; I know God." Others would echo what Jesus said, as He developed in His spiritual maturity and came into His fullness. He said, "I and the Father are one." Jesus introduced us to the now-familiar use of the word Father to refer to God, and He spoke of a close and affectionate bond. Others might answer my question this way: "I want a close relationship with God. I yearn for it, but God seems so distant, so hard to get to. I connect with God only spasmodically. I want much more, but it doesn't happen." You hear people call God "the man upstairs."

Some answer would say, "Whenever I look at a flower, I see perfection," some would say. "I see a little seed which spends time in the darkness of the earth, sprouts, and then in its own time comes into its fullness. I see God in the flower." Or they might say, "I see God in the night sky. I look up into the sky and see thousands and thousands of stars, and I know that beyond the stars I can see with my naked eye there are millions and millions more. What is this little planet, and who am I? I know I am seeing the handiwork of God."

I often have that reaction when I am watching a dramatic sunset. The sunsets I have enjoyed the most were over the ocean, where the sky reflects its color in the water. And how many times, watching the sunset, have I been transfixed. Sometimes the only word we know to use at such a time is God.

Oftentimes when we pray we look for and expect an exalted and dramatic experience. I did this for a long time. During my morning prayers I wanted to have a high moment, a mountain-top experience. I wanted exaltation, joy, ecstasy. And every once in a while during the prayer period, I would be raised to this high spiritual level where I would feel ecstatic. I would feel I could handle anything -- after this wonderful prayer period, the day was going to be perfect, and everything would come easily. But every time that happened, the day was full of chaos and conflict and confusion.

If we go back to Psalm 46, we see there is another way to meet God. "God is in the midst of the city," it says. When you go outside onto the street this morning, God is there. Wherever there are people, wherever there are souls, God is there. God is active in this world. I have seen God at work in the midst of this city on so many occasions.

Tomorrow in worship, may people "discover" that God is at work in their lives and that He is drawing them unto Himself.

----

reflections: artcaliandro.marblenyc.

No comments: