Thursday, November 27, 2008

THANKSGIVING DAY

Until around Tuesday night, I still hadn't decided what passage to preach on for Thursday's Chapel service at Faith Bible College. After some praying and a walk around Greenhills at 12:15AM, the Lord led me to thoughts about developing an attitude of praise and gratitude, since after all it was Thanksgiving day, although the Philippines does not observe Thanksgiving day officially. I was led to preach on Psalm 105:1-7, a great psalm of thanksgiving and remembrance.

I once saw a bumper sticker that says, 'If you can read this, thank a teacher.' Well that is true. But let's think a little bit deeper about that bumper sticker. If you can read it, it is because you are alive. It is because your heart is beating. It is because your eyes can see, and all of those things are nothing less than a gift. Every time we give thanks for something we will find ourselves ending up thanking God- from whom all blessings flow. And so authentic worship and authentic living for Christ always begins with gratitude. Give thanks.

As I was studying and writing the sermon, my mind kept racing to thoughts of communion. The Greek word for "thanks" - efcharisto is the root word of eucharist - a widely recognized word that refer to communion. I felt that having communion on Thanksgiving Day after hearing a sermon on gratitude would be so appropriate. I called the Bible College chaplain and asked permission if I may officiate the ordinance of communion at chapel because I'm preaching on Thanksgiving, and it would be great for the students to gather around the table of Thanksgiving-- a eucharistic celebration. With the permission of the chaplain, I tweaked the worship order by inserting something that had not been planned for.

Yesterday morning, the Bible college community gathered around the table of thanksgiving by partaking of the symbols of Christ's finished work. It was a unique way of observing Thanksgiving! I wish I was able to to take pictures of the meaningful chapel service but I couldn't since I preached and presided over communion.

After lunch, I received an important phone call from Canada for which I am grateful. A church in Canada is sending someone to Manila just to fellowship with me!

Another feature of my day was having had the privilege of spending time with some Bible college alumni who were there for an afternoon denominational district meeting. It was fun hanging out with them, update each other with the happenings in our lives and ministries.

Arriving at GCF at 4:30 for my worship planning meeting, I couldn't help but be thank God for the people who are a part of the team- kindred spirits.

Before my day ended, I got a text message from a friend inviting me and another close friend to watch TWILIGHT (again)! But before the movie we have dinner together-- sort of a thanksgiving dinner at Burgoo. They didn't serve turkey there so I had steak instead, and again, I thanked God for friends.

steak 1

When you think back over the year on what all many blessings God has bestowed in ones life, through the hard times and many good times, there are many ways to be thankful.

Life can be hard but through even the tears of struggles that fall one can always draw a sigh of comfort and say YES! I am blessed to be thankful for this and for that in my life. God has truly blessed many blessing on me. I sing Praises to him for many things he has deliverd me through and will still deliver me through.

And at home last night, I spent time thanking God for my family, and everything else.

I am thankful for the gift of life and the capacity to find joy in it. I am thankful for finding my little piece of this wonderful earth and the ability to tend and enjoy all the wonders of growing things. I am thankful for my family, my home church and the warmth and safety and support they provide me. I am thankful for the love of my family and of a few good friends. I feel blessed. I am thankful that I am free in Christ.

No comments: