Sunday, November 9, 2008

BLESSED THOUGH TIRED

Today's services are awesome! A good turn out of folks and I met four new faces in the morning services- Americans Chris Timberlake, Adam Hussey, Will and French girl, Lucy. Adam is interested in joining a young adult Bible study, Chris is an import basketball player, and the two are students. I also met four (2 gals and 2 guys) in their 20s at the Vesper Service. There were a few other first timers whom I failed to meet. Snap!

I love meeting first timers in a church our size where anyone can be mistaken for a newbie even if that one person has been attending for years. A couple of weeks ago, I met a guy for the first time and he's been attending GCF for seven years-- about as long as I have been on staff. Perhaps a poor reflection on my part as a Worship Pastor; then again, that sort of stuff happens in a lot of megachurches! Rick Warren claims that he's memorized every face and name when Saddleback numbered 3000, and then his brain fried! There's more than three thousand of us in the membership and so I try to meet as much people as I possibly can. Key phrase: as I possibly can.

Tonight, I was reading one of the guest's blog and am glad to learn that he's been ministered to in our services through the songs, the prayers and the preaching. But more than just ministering to people, the Spirit also helps us minister to the heart of God through worship- acknowledging Who He is, praising Him for what He has done, and obeying His Word. And then, we are sent forth to be change agents in a world in need of Christ.

We heard a pretty challenging message from guest speaker, Ro Penaranda (Youth Director, Union Church of Manila) based on 1 John-- a new command given to love one another on a higher level! Communion was very meaningful, especially when we sang In Christ Alone (My Hope is Found)!

Surprisingly, I feel really exhausted today. Well, for one, I led worship in four services! Add to that the fact that when I lead worship, I don't just stand and sing. I give worshipping-- including singing, directing the band, etc.- my all. It's what athletes refer to as "leaving everything on the field." I have been leading worship at GCF for the last seven years but I have never felt this tired at the end of the day. For the first time I feel like all my energy's been drained and all I want to do is lie down, sleep and wake up three days from today! I have the joy of the Lord, but I am physically exhausted- maybe it's the humidity outdoors, or perhaps the noise pollution in the metropolis, pressures at work, working on the budget, among other contributors. I really don't know. Thank God this weekend I'll be out of town-- it's our young adults/singles conference-- and have a time with the Lord far from the hustle and bustle of city life!

In times like this one, I feel the Lord issuing an invitation for me to be drawn to the ground/floor and spend time on my knees.

No comments: