Tuesday, November 4, 2008

MY FAITH AND OBAMA'S

Barack Obama is the President-elect of the United States! A friend of mine said, "At least it's not Hillary!" I live thousands of miles away in a totally separate sovereign nation, so why should I care? Did I care when Dmitry Medyedev or Nicolas Sarkozy were elected as heads of their states?

These last several hours I have received messages and heard statements containing mixed feelings. And I'm pretty sure there's no other way but to accept the fact that America has a new president that holds views not necessarily representative of their own. I saw the Jim and Linda Davis at the church cafeteria at lunch today. I asked if they voted. She said, "Yes...but I'm afraid somebody else is winning." At the Communications Department at church a couple of hours ago, I spoke with some folks. I told them, "So, Barack is it, huh?" And I got this response, "Come quickly, Lord Jesus!" Whether I like it or not, the results of yesterday's election will affect my country and the world.

I never rooted for Obama simply because our views clash. But some time ago, Obama delivered this speech, and his message on faith seems convincing enough that we share the same faith.

"...in its historical struggles for freedom and the rights of man, I was able to see faith as more than just a comfort to the weary or a hedge against death, but rather as an active, palpable agent in the world. As a source of hope.

And perhaps it was out of this intimate knowledge of hardship -- the grounding of faith in struggle -- that the church offered me a second insight, one that I think is important to emphasize today.

Faith doesn't mean that you don't have doubts.

You need to come to church in the first place precisely because you are first of this world, not apart from it. You need to embrace Christ precisely because you have sins to wash away - because you are human and need an ally in this difficult journey.

It was because of these newfound understandings that I was finally able to walk down the aisle of Trinity United Church of Christ on 95th Street in the Southside of Chicago one day and affirm my Christian faith. It came about as a choice, and not an epiphany. I didn't fall out in church. The questions I had didn't magically disappear. But kneeling beneath that cross on the South Side, I felt that I heard God's spirit beckoning me. I submitted myself to His will, and dedicated myself to discovering His truth." (read the full address here)

obama-win-2-xo-metro

After reading the whole speech, I conclude that our faith is not entirely the same. But he won, and it's a historic one. What else can people do?

Travis Doucette, a song writer and worship leader wrote:

A word to my conservative Christian friends . . .

"Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God."

- Romans 13:1

Let's keep this truth of God on our hearts and minds before we blow a gasket here, people.

Truth be told, I attend a conservative school where many (as myself) would have desired John McCain to win this election.....character is often most clearly shown in defining moments of victory and defeat. I have never seen so much class in the way John McCain, an American hero congratulated Barack Obama and the way Mr. Obama spoke of Mr. McCain. Here we have two capable leaders full of incredible, proven character that have dedicated their lives to public service for our well being.

Our only response now is to . . .

1. Celebrate the good - don't miss the opportunity to relish this historical racial milestone.

2. Believe in the hope - even when we don't get 'our way'. True character and maturity will be demonstrated in our poise, right here, in this moment. Will we be part of the solution or just continue on in complaining that we didn't get our own way?

3. Trust in the One who holds it all together - Colossians 1:17

and finally and perhaps most importantly - PRAY.
It's our responsibility to pray for our leaders.

I challenge every believer to keep these things in mind before you start preaching doom and disaster.

God's on the throne. Let's believe in His able hand to guide and direct the new President of the United States, our leader, Barack Obama.


No comments: