Saturday, August 23, 2008

SUNDAY WORSHIP: CAPTURED BY GRACE

While I giving some encouragement to the Chancel Choir before their rehearsals this afternoon, a thought came to mind- the unique role of musicians in scripture, and the role of music in our life as individuals and together as the people of God! I found it a bit hard to thank them for their ministry without breaking.

This morning (and tonight), they sang (will sing) a beautiful anthem titled "Were It Not for Grace" which they have done a number of times before. I knew they were rehearsing a different song for today's services, but about two weeks ago as I met with the Worship Creative Planning Team to design the service, the Lord directed us to asking the Choir to sing this amazing song from the cantata, "My Redeemer Lives." Today's sermon title is Blinded to See the Light- the Conversion of Saul (Acts 9)- thus, we thematically developed the worship service with God's amazing grace as a focal point, and there isn't a more approriate anthem to support the preaching than that song.

Since I lead normally worship every second and third Sundays of each month, the other Sundays in which my other worship leaders are assigned, I dedicate to either my regular oversight of the services and ministries, or taking opportunities to minister some place else. Today, I sat in the congregation. During the offetory, Willie Co and the Choir sang the anthem- I was so moved I felt a drop of tear run down my right cheek. After the song, I looked around and saw that I wasn't the only one reaching for a hankie. There wasn't a dry eye in the 2100-seat room. By the time Dr. Ben Brown, pastor of International Baptist Singapore (guest speaker) preached everyone already heard a sermon in a song. But his preaching gave more substance to an amazing spiritual meal. Everyone was reminded beautifully of God's powerful grace that captured us.

A couple of weeks ago, Joey, our Worship Service Stage Manager and I were having coffee in between services when he asked, "Pastor, what would you be doing if God did not call you?" I answered, "I know where I'd be...wandering down some pointless road to nowhere...I know how that would go...forever running but losing the race, were it not for grace." He said, "Hey, isn't that a song?" I said, "Yes, and that basically sums up my story...and yours."

It is always good to be reminded afresh, day by day, of God's grace. It keeps our feet on the ground, and not take pride of the accomplishes God has so graciously allowed for us to experience. It propels us to share our knowledge of God's grace with others who like us equally need it.

Yesterday, I met a college guy in a Christian gathering. Within 10 minutes since I met him, he started trying to impress me (us) with his knowledge of a particular subject, and eventually confound me (us) with the vastness of his acumen. In no longer than 30 minutes into the meeting, while we talked about giving away Starbucks gift certificates as prizes to some attendees to an event we were planning, he said, "Not everyone likes Starbucks...I know I don't." Another guy retorted, "Well, you shouldn't assume that you'll get a prize." I was so repelled by what I believed to be his sheer self-centeredness I no longer wanted to hear anything he had to say. All through the meeting and into lunch, I didn't talk to him. But as I ate, I was reminded, "Where would I be if God was repelled by the pride I possess." After lunch, I reached out to him, shook his hand and pronounced a well-meant "the Lord graciously bless you."

As the people of God, we are called to the Ministry of Reconciliation- the message that God is calling people unto Himself through Christ, and all humanity to reconciliation with one another. As part of that which has already been reconciled to God, the worship and glory of God is now our highest calling and priority. The Ministry of Recociliation is the message we proclaim in order that all people might come to a point of knowing Christ, being reconciled to God and live their lives for Him in worship.

...if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation;
the old has gone, the new has come!
All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ
and gave us the ministry of reconciliation:
that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ,
not counting men's sins against them.
And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.
We are therefore Christ's ambassadors,
as though God were making his appeal through us.
We implore you on Christ's behalf:
Be reconciled to God. God made him who had no sin to be sin for us,
so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
2 Corinthians 5:17-21

No comments: