Monday, August 11, 2008

A DIRECT RESULT OF WORSHIP

Yesterday's worship at GCF.

It's been a month since we have started reformatting our services at GCF. The Spirit overwhelms us by gracing our worship experiences that may be described as journey into God's throne room.

As Worship Pastor, I hear a lot of commendations from a number of individuals about the wonderful experience of worship they've been having at when we gather. There has been a noticeable change in the way the people in the congregation respond in worship! People whom I have not seen raise their hands in worship have started doing so. There is a growing sense of joy in worship from the Spirit!

While people come to me to express their sentiments, there is a small group of dedicated worshippers who meet each week to pray, seeking the Spirit's and planning the services that is encouraged to see people worship and have a genuine encounter with God! Every commendation acts as an affirmation that what we envision for GCF's worship life is what the Lord has had in His mind for us. The new Worship Creative Planning Team has been on a journey of discoveries and rediscoveries, sensing together that we are being led by God's Spirit in the planning and execution of the worship celebrations.

jing-013

jing-012

Early in June, I did a blog entry expressing my heart concerning worship at GCF, after figuring out why the Lord allowed for my move to Indiana be postponed. I started praying for four things to happen in our services. I see each being answered in varying degrees!

1. A NEW THING (Isaiah 43:19)

2. DESIRING HIS RENOWN (Isaiah 26:8)

3. DESIRING HIS NEARNESS (Psalm 73:28)

4. LIFE CHANGE (1 Corinthians 14:24)-

The Saturday before last, I was preparing to rehearse some worship songs with the choir when my office phone rang. The front desk officer of the church insisted that I come down immediately because I was the only pastor available and that there was a man in tears needing someone to speak with. I had the counseling room prepared and came down quickly. I came into the counseling room and saw a man in his 30s with his eyes that looked like they have been shedding tears for a fairly long time!

I asked God for discernment and guidance. After a formal introduction of who I am, I sat and asked him to join me in prayer. He admitted he's a bisexual and is in huge trouble! That's all I can share at this point. I tried sharing the Gospel with him but he kept saying he's Roman Catholic, he didn't want to "convert", he just needed someone to talk with. I asked that he will never be freed unless he decides to trust Christ. He listened, but he did not make a decision. I told him to come try one of services when he has time.

Last night after the service, he came up to me, looking a lot better. He said, "Pastor, Christian worship service is so new to me. I have never seen so many people so happy and at peace! I don't know how to explain this but I felt an overwhelming sense of peace when you were leading us in songs....I don't know the songs but I wrote the words of the one that moved my heart the most."

Between the pages of a neon green covered notebook were the words:

'Taking my sin, my cross my shame...
when I fall down you pick me up, when I am dry you fill my cup...
Jesus...You are my all in all.'

He goes on to say, "I am now feeling a lot better, Pastor. I feel secure and safe. I have decided to break free from my past. When the older Pastor said that I should trust Christ, I remembered what you said. Tonight, I did. That means I am a Christian already, right?"

I smiled and said, "Yes. Yes, you are!" He looked at me and said, "God is here...and I am going to attend services from now on until my visa for ------ is approved. When I go abroad I will look for a church like GCF."

I don't know with you, but that is a direct answer to my fourth prayer item- that when we worship if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand comes in...he will be convinced...he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, "God is really among you!"

IN OTHER NEWS:

Heidi and MB. This morning, I got a text message from Heidi (in dark purple blouse) saying goodbye after a three-week vacation in the Philippines. She and MB fly back to North America (to Toronto and Grand Rapids, respectively). It was fun seeing them in church on all the Sundays they were in Manila. They have been very active in GCF the whole time they were serving as missionary teachers at Faith Academy, particularly in Mosaic Growth Group for international young adults. They always came with a treat (brownies, cakes, muffins, etc.) to the Bible study, to the delight of everyone. MB (in pink)said worshipping at GCF was definitely a highlight of the trip!

mb heidi jon ing
me, Ingrid, Heidi and MB at the lobby after church

No comments: