Monday, March 2, 2009

BORN LOSER

Sometimes he opens the door for people every Sunday at the 9&11AM worship services. Sometimes he greets people at the foot of the escalator handing worship folders. He is a Swiss gentleman named, Markus Loser! When I first met him seven years ago, I nearly laughed at the sound of his last name, Loser! He comes to church with his family and some of his usher friends would say, "The Losers are here!"

I used to dislike my last name, Las since it does not make any sense. My classmates have better-sounding Spanish names like delos Reyes (of the kings), delos Santos (of the saints), delas Armas (of the weapons), etc. In addition to that, I grew up among missionaries families like the Bakers, the Merritts, the Wellses, the Hooges, the Lyons, the Schotts, and a more funny last name, the Kilpatricks. My dad used to say, "I'll be late for dinner, I'm going to Kilpatrick" and the whole family will burst into laughter! But my last name, even in Spanish does not make sense. Las as we know is the definite feminine article the in Spanish. So my name can be literally translated as Jonathan The. The what?

Family history has it that when my great, great grandfather of Chinese descent was asked to "buy" a name that would make him a Filipino citizen he bought the name las Armas from a trader of gunpowder and ammunition. He was a poor speller, he didn't know to write Armas so he got stuck with Las.

I have since college appreciated my name for its uniqueness-- feeling that I am the only boy in this world named Jonathan Las; until I found a couple of men on Facebook both named Jonathan Las-- one caucasian, the other black! At any rate, Las is still a unique surname. I always say, "I will never be first because I will always be Las."

Anyway, going back, I figured, it's better to be born a Las than be born a Loser. Then of course, who would forget the name of the late Archbishop of Manila, Jaime Cardinal Sin? Or one of the Philippines' great Senator whose legal name is Joker? My friend Heidi from Canada told me of a family in her home church, the Virgins. Sam, a friend from Pennsylvania knows a family named Hiney. And with that somewhat humorous play of words and names, I figured, in a more serious sense, the importance of one's name.

Over the weekend I watched the film, the Crucible.

John Proctor says: "...Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! ....How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; leave me my name!"

I'm actually reading through the Bible and now in the book of Numbers where some of the most difficult names to pronounce are found, and yet I couldn't help but think of how important these names are much less their amazing meanings. These are people, who in God's sovereignty, chosen for their names to appear in the Scriptures regardless of what they've done or who they were. This is something of astounding reality- the fact is, we will carry to eternity the name we have been given- upon which we have no choice. This means our lives are not the sum of all our choices, thank God. There are things in our lives that are beyond our choice or control.

Regardless of where you are in your life today, regardless of what decisions you face or what challenges or joys or questions or vulnerabilities or crises capture your heart and mind, be assured that whatever happens, God knows your name and you are held in His surpassing love. He continues to give us everything we need, grace and nourishment and strength to face every moment with love and without fear. The choice has been made on our behalf – God continues to prepare the feast and Jesus Christ is calling your name to join the celebration. The only decision left is whether you’ll really respond when He calls your name. And you'll officially remain a loser when you say "no."

No comments: