Tuesday, March 10, 2009

THE "JOY" OF BEING ENGAGED

Like any other friend, I feel elated with the news that my good friend and pianist, Joy (who'd been a subject of a lot of my blog entries in the past) is now engaged! And like any "good friend" she never mentioned she got engaged last night. It wasn't until I logged into Facebook tonight that I learned about it!

After a couple of years of being her breathing room whenever she felt down or emo about her forever-like heartbreak; after many, many occurances of us being seen together almost everywhere together and mistaken as a dating couple, after lots of dinners, lunches and coffee; after dozens of out of town trips with our other friend, Lennie; after the many close-to-midnight, after-midnight, early morning phones calls I got from her whenever she went emo; after buckets of tears and lots of praying together-- and oh, did I mention the hundreds of times we were mistaken as a couple? Yeah, I did-- she's finally engaged to (snap...brainfart, what's his name?...oooh, sorry...I hate times like this one...oh yeah) Mark, the man she loves, and who loves her even more, I guess.

DSC-0312

Mid last year, Lennie, Joy and I saw a chick flick-- they'd been good at twisting my arm to convince to me watch a number of such-- MAID OF HONOR that starred Patrick Dempsey where he played the role of a good male friend to a female friend he met in college who eventually asked him to be his MADE OF HONOR. I remember jokingly telling both Lennie and Joy that given our circumstance being the only male in our three-member inner circle, I should be MADE OF HONOR to them in their weddings! In turn, they could both be my BEST (WO)MEN!

DSC-0013 crop

Guess what, I called her prior to writing this blog entry-- I woke her up to congratulate her and to make sure she won't renege on that agreement! Haha!

At the height of her rather prolonged ordeal with heartbreak I'd told her to take small steps-- baby steps. Small incremental steps that would nevertheless point her in the right direction, point her "home," point her toward trusting God’s love. It took all three of us-- Lennie, Joy and me, taking those steps together.

ic sonias

While it is true that I had become quite busy to hang out with them nowadays, I still am taking those steps with them. The better thing now is that someone new has decided to walk along with Joy in a way I never can. Hopefully, soon, Lennie will be joined by someone as well, just as I will be walking alongside someone else...(maybe in Canada?!)

Congratulations, Joy and Mark!

No comments: