Tuesday, December 23, 2008

THOUGHTS BEFORE CHRISTMAS

It's the 23rd of December.

Some Advent Thoughts. As I was preparing for the Christmas Eve service and reviewing some of the videos meant to be played in it, and as I looked at the scripture upon which these videos are based, I couldn't help but be struck by the responses of Joseph and Mary to the news the angel brough to each of them and how it will eventually affect their lives.

When Joseph initially learned that his fiancee was pregnant, he wanted to divorce her secretly (Matt 1:19). He was an honorable man and didn't want to go against the traditions of his fathers, his religion and his integrity. But an angel appeared to stop Joseph from doing it. When Mary received the announcement of the angel she had nothing to say but "May it be done unto me..." (Luke 2:38).

nativitystorythe_photos_2209

What does it mean for each of us to grow into our integrity, into wholeness in response to God’s call on our lives? That’s a question worth taking home. Actually, it could very well be the most important question there is. Mostly we won’t give it the time of day, of course, even when on an occasion such as this we’re specifically invited to do so.

Maybe it’s too weird and abstract. Or maybe the Christmas story has been so filled with sentimentality that we simply cannot see beyond the gooey sweetness and cannot imagine how it could possibly be relevant to what I’m going to find when after all the parties, when I go home or visit my family for the holiday.

But sometimes, sometimes, something happens, some startling new thing interrupts our previously devised plan or expectation and choices are set before us that are really quite clear once we allow ourselves the opportunity to truly look and to listen. We’re invited to grow into a larger version of ourselves, to do the better, if seemingly more difficult thing. In effect, to say yes to God.

That Gabriel spoke to a nobody from nowhere should let us in on the secret that no one is outside the bounds of God’s attention and care. That everyone is within the range of God’s voice, that no prior or current condition prevents God from breaking into anyone’s life anywhere, even those who have migrated to modern day Rome, the city of great expectations, a locus of both astonishing human accomplishment and corruption. Even here God works. Right here. In each of us Christ desires to be born anew.

Each of us in some form or manner confronts a similar predicament as Mary and Joseph. That’s our existential situation and our spiritual work. How shall we grow into our integrity, into wholeness, into God’s intention for our lives? Will we ever say yes to God, really? This question agitates until we let go of our very last breath. And even then, I imagine, our response awaits....

An MP3 Player. After the Church Staff 70s-themed Christmas Party I went and had a late afternoon snack with a colleague who showed me the raffle prize he got at the party- a nice brand new blue 1G iPOD shuffle! Sometime last week-- Sunday, I guess, I was with Lennie and Chris at the mall checking out some Apple® stuff. I started drooling over- like an 80s kid would over He-Man action figures- the new MacBook Pro! I particularly like the Garage Band system for my music ministry use!

MacBook_Pro_Late_2008

But I've always had my eye on the tiny iPOD shuffle which I've been wanting to purchase one for myself since I started jogging again- there's nothing like good music to go with a good morning jog! So, I after the late afternoon snack, my colleague and I walked back to that Apple store to buy that MP3 player. We asked the lady how much it costs and she said, "We are out of stock...some rich guy bought every iPOD shuffle from all our store branches to give away for Christmas!" I figured maybe it wasn't God's time and will for me to get myself an MP3 player.

ipod

Early this evening as I was walking back to Emerald Avenue to get grab a bite before going home, I bumped into someone who said he was on his way to church to drop off a gift he has for me! He handed me a box. I asked if had time to have coffee but he said he didn't. As I waited for my pasta to be served I opened the gift box and found a Philips MP3 player! God prevented me from buying an iPOD shuffle because he was going to give me a Philips player! Thank you, Lord for the new gadget!

SA1916

What was Jesus doing or thinking on the night before Christmas? I figured, it is best to answer this tomorrow- Christmas Eve, the night before Christmas.

No comments: