Tuesday, December 23, 2008

CHRISTMAS EVE

Getting ready for the Christmas Eve service, my nephew greeted me on YM and told me how much they enjoyed last Saturday's Christmas concert at their new home church in Brandon, Bell Shoals Baptist Church.

bell 4
Christmas concert at Bell Shoals, my family's church in Brandon FL

They went to buy a tree last week at the Tree Farm just off the city. I remember my family went shopping for gifts in Binondo and Divisoria when I was eight. We stopped by a little roadside Chinese restaurant to have lunch. Close to the restaurant's glass window stood a five-foot plastic Christmas tree with lights. I told my dad that we should get a new tree too. The Chinese lady who owned the restaurant heard the father-son conversation, and decided to butt in, "Ako benta akin keh-lis-mas tuh-lee, ikaw gusto bili?" (I'm selling my Christmas Tree, you want to buy it?)! What an enterprising lady- willing to sell even the tree that decorated her store!

Trees
Christmas Tree farm
lot jeg
Josh and Ruth beside the tree

I found this inside the box of my Greek Bible sitting on my desk just now and decided to scan it. For some reason, the Lord allowed me to find this photo again- Christmas 1993 was alot of fun!

Jon Las
Christmas Eve 1993 at the old house on Ifugao Road with my sister and bro-in-law
and my Vanilla Ice-inspired hair!

After the service later, I'm joining my family-- what's left in the Philippines-- for Christmas Eve dinner aka Noche Buena! I'll be home for Christmas!

No comments: