Tuesday, January 20, 2009

MY HAND HELD AND A PRESIDENT SWEARIN' IN

My Hand Held. After an evening that included a quick visit with a man in a hospital, a brief meeting with someone at the mall and buying ingredients for my tikoy recipe, I was on my way back to church to get a cab. As I reached the edge of the sidewalk ready to cross ADB Avenue- like any good citizen needing to cross the street, I looked to my left waiting for a street clearing, I felt a rather strong grip around my wrist. My mind's immediate thought was to pull my hand back. But even as I acted upon that thought I had already turned to my side surprised to find a twenty-ish, 5'4"-tall, fair-skinned woman who simply said as her hand slipped from my wrist to my hand, "It's always difficult to cross this street." I didn't know how to react to her action and her statement other than say, "Yeah!" Her grip was quite strong. My hand was intentionally unresponsive.

As we reached halfway across the six-lane street, she said, "You don't know me that's because I don't go to GCF, but I am a part of this Christian dance troupe ----- that uses one of GCF's rooms for rehearsals! So I know you." I am not a touchie-feelie person with people I don't know and was hoping the awkward moment would end quickly, and it did when we made it to the other side and a familiar guy who belongs to the same dance troupe walked past us whose attention she then called!

Somebody held my hand and I was uncomfortable mainly because we are not a couple. It wasn't like shaking hands with someone. New York Times explores what hand-holding means in today's sex saturated context; saying that as it did in former generations, it still communicates a form of commitment, maybe even more so.

"Hand-holding is the one aspect that's not been affected by the sexual revolution," said Dalton Conley, a professor and chairman of the department of sociology at New York University. "It's less about sex than about a public demonstration about coupledom." ... To hold someone's hand is to offer them affection, protection or comfort. It is a way to communicate that you are off the market."

holding_hands

A New President for the world's most powerful nation. As I write this the 44th President of the United States, Barack Hossein Obama takes the oath of office. All Presidential Inaugurations are historic but this one is a total stand-out -- the first Black president! I love how the Rev'd. Rick Warren painted a picture in his prayer of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and a host of other witnesses rejoicing in heaven to see America inaugurate the first Black president!

As I type this President Obama is delivering his Scripture-quoting speech...and so, that's all for now for me.

obama2

No comments: